Dear Brothers and Sisters in Christ,
On Sunday as we study the words of Colossians 2:6-10, we will arrive at the very heart and core of this letter. You can see the transition “therefore” in verse 6, which links this section to what Paul has said previously.
From his prison cell in Rome, Paul is very concerned about their protection from false teaching, and the disunity this will inevitably cause within the Colossian church. And this subject brackets what we find in verses 6-7. In 2:4, Paul’s concern is that they might be swayed and deceived by “plausible arguments,” and in 2:8 he is troubled that they might be taken “captive by philosophy and empty deceit, according to human tradition.” As you remember, it was the threat of destructive doctrine that prompted Paul to write this letter in the first place.
In verses 6-7, our main focus for Sunday’s message, the Apostle sets out to counteract this peril in a most practical way by means of a solemn, yet simple, exhortation:
“Therefore, as you received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in him, rooted and built up in him and established in the faith, just as you were taught, abounding in thanksgiving.”
It’s all about how we “walk”!
On Sunday, we will discover the riches of this one blessed Apostolic exhortation, and we will learn how to “walk” all over again!
Special Announcement About Our Upcoming Fall Women’s Conference
Registration for our Women’s Fall Conference, Open Heart+Open Home: The Art of Generous Living, has begun and will continue every Sunday in August at the church. Cost is $30.00, cash or check, which includes 2 meals and conference notebook. Join our ladies on Friday, September 21 (6:00-8:30) for a casual dinner and conference opening and Saturday, September 22 (9-3:00) for more speakers, catered lunch, and special interest break-outs. Please consider who you can invite from outside the church to join you for this special event—moms, sisters, neighbors, co-workers, friends, etc. We have printed invitations at the registration table for just this purpose. This will be an inspirational and fun time for all who attend! Contact Christina Bagdazian at email@example.com or 256.812.2442.
I love you all with all my heart!!
August 12, 4:30 PM – Psummer Psalms recitation at the Church House
August 15, 6 PM – Diaconate Meeting
August 28, 10:00 AM – Senior Fellows visit the North Alabama Railroad Museum
August 29, 11:30 AM – Women’s Ministry Fall Bible Studies Kickoff Lunch at home of Christina Bagdazian
September 4, 9 AM – Mother’s Morning Bible Study at Church
September 4, 6 PM – Women’s Evening Bible Study at Church
September 5, 10 AM – Women’s Morning Bible Study at Church
September 6, 11:30 AM – Women’s Ministry Potluck Lunch and Timbers Edge Clubhouse
September 12, 6:30 PM – Parenting Small Groups
September 21, 6 PM – Women’s Ministry Fall Conference Day One
September 22, 9 AM – Women’s Ministry Fall Conference Day Two
You can access this week’s Order of Worship by clicking here
If you’d like to sing the songs with your family beforehand, the songs for this week are:
Praise to the Lord, the Almighty – Hymn 53 v.1-3,5
Come Ye Souls By Sin Afflicted
Amazing Grace – Hymn 460 v.1-3,6
Summer Schedule: Christ Presbyterian is on Summer Schedule. There will be no Sunday School, and regularly scheduled bible studies for men, women, and youth are on hiatus. Fellowship will be each Sunday at 10 AM, with worship beginning at 10:30 AM. Regular weekly activities will resume the first full week of September, with Sunday School resuming on September 9.
Psummer Pslams: Recitation is Sunday at 4:30 PM at the Church House. All are welcome, whether reciting or not.
Children’s Ministry: Moving into August, we are excited to kick-off another semester of programming. How blessed we are to have programs for all ages to disciple and train our young people with solid teaching and fellowship. Many good things are in the works for this upcoming year for both adults and children’s classes! Watch for more info on that to come.
1. We are now registering the kids for Sunday School which begins September 9th. If you have an infant to 12th grader, please fill out the form for each of your children so that I can begin working on class breakouts, room assignments and materials.
***Additionally, I am still working out details for teachers. If you are interested, please make a note on the form for being involved as a teacher or co-teacher or “sub” and for what class/age range. Thanks!
2. Dr. Carol Bart is starting to make plans for fall Alleluia Choir. We had such a great year last year, and I am thrilled she’ll be directing again this year. Please email her if you’d like to sign your child up. This is for ages 2nd grade to 5th grade, meeting Sunday afternoons from 4:00-4:45 pm in the Music Room of the Church House. Please email her with questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
Prayers for the new school year
I am away this week for some family time, but I am already praying for all of your children as they transition back to the school year. One of my favorite passages to pray for my own kids as they begin a new year is Colossians 1:9-10, that they “may be filled with the knowledge of his will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding, so as to walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to him, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God.”
Women’s Ministry: There are several upcoming Women’s Ministry events:
– On August 29th from 11:30 – 1:00 pm there will be a kick off luncheon for the Fall Bibles Studies at the home of Christine Bagdazian. 2614 Legacy Preserve Dr. Brownsboro AL 35741
– The next Women’s Monthly Lunch is September 6 at 11:30 AM at the Timbers Edge clubhouse. Contact Pat Galecki (email@example.com) for more information.
– The Tuesday Morning Mom’s Bible Study will begin on September 4 from 9-11:30 AM at the church. Childcare will be provided. Contact Amy Schnorrenberg (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information.
– The Tuesday Night Women’s Bible Study will begin on September 4 from 6-7:30 PM at the church. The topic is Jen Wilkin’s God of Creation, book and video series (books can be ordered through Lifeway.com website for $12.99). Contact Denise Scrip (email@example.com) for more information.
– The Wednesday Morning Women’s Bible Study will begin on September 5 from 10-11:30 AM at the church. The topic is Jen Wilkin’s God of Creation, book and video series (books can be ordered through Lifeway.com website for $12.99). Contact Denise Scrip (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information.
– There will be a two-day Women’s Conference entitled “Open Heart and Open Home: The Art of Generous Living” on Friday September 21 from 6 PM-8:30 PM and Saturday September 22 from 9 AM-3 PM. Cost is $30 which includes two meals and all materials. A special flyer is available to use to invite others from outside the church at the registration table. Please sign up in the Narthex. Final date to register is September 2. Please see Christina Bagdazian if you have any questions.
Senior Fellows: On Tuesday, August 28 at 10:00 AM the Senior Fellows will visit the North Alabama Railroad Museum at 694 Chase Rd. N.E, Huntsville. To carpool, meet at the Church at 9:30 AM. The Fellows will go to lunch afterwards.
Parenting Small Groups: 14 Gospel Principles
Be sure to mark your calendars for this Fall’s parenting small group! We will use Paul Tripp’s 14 Gospel Principles of Parenting and cover an array of topics related to Gospel-centered parenting. The study and group discussion will center around how to be an ambassador for Christ to your children as you seek to faithful in your calling as a parent. Book purchases are not required, but are encouraged. As we will not cover all the book chapters during the Fall gatherings, owning the book will provide you an opportunity afterwards to continue your reading and thoughtful consideration of your calling as a parent. Hard copies can be purchased online for roughly $20, $12 for those who prefer Kindle reading. Please feel the latitude to contact Matthew Elliott in the event book purchases are out of your current family budgeting.
The small group is for anyone interested in issues related to raising children. Though the topic is on parenting, all of the church covenant community is encouraged to consider participating: nesters, empty nesters, single adults, and hopeful nesters, each have a role to play in nurturing our covenant children.
Small groups will begin on Wednesday, September 12th! Concluding on Wednesday, October 24th, the groups will be each Wednesday night – the exception being October 10th, which is Fall break. The six meetings will begin around 6:30 and wrap up about 8pm.
The group(s) will be in CPC member’s homes. The locale, number of groups and group size will be determined upon the conclusion of sign-ups!
To sign up, please follow the link: https://goo.gl/forms/
Childcare will be as needed, provided at the locate of each small group. In the event there are too many children for a particular location, CPC can financially assist those who might need to have childcare in their home during the time of the small group. Please discuss with your small group leader to arrange childcare.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Matthew Elliott: matthew@christpreshamptoncove.
Care Center Needs Volunteers to Tutor and Mentor Students: The Care Center in New Hope is seeking volunteers to tutor and mentor children at Madison County Elementary, New Hope Elementary, New Hope High School, and Owens Cross Roads Elementary schools. Volunteer tutors are asked to serve at least 30 minutes one time each week. Volunteer mentors are asked to meet with a student during lunch time one time each week. If you would like to volunteer to help one of these students, contact Andrea Bridges (email@example.com) at the Care Center or for more information contact Norman Dean or Joe Sims.
Healing: Please pray for the health of the following individuals: Andy Trent, Debbie Hill, Suzanne Nimon, Robin Holloway, Chris Smotherman, Elizabeth Holton, Janet Chou, Ramona Edwards, and Nolan Osmer.
Bereavement: Please pray for Megan Brown, whose mother died this week.
Expecting: Please pray for the Elliott family, expecting in September, and the Ely family, expecting in November.
Ministries: Please pray for the following missionaries and ministries: Seth and Jessica Lewis (Ireland); Steve and Rita Williams (New Zealand); Vinnie and Molly Athey (RUF at UAH); RUF at Alabama A&M; Ken and Angie Burnett (FCA); Franky Garcia (seminary student).
general inquiries: admin@
benevolence needs and prayer: deacons@
men’s ministry: men@
women’s ministry: women@
children’s ministry: children@
youth ministry: youth@
senior fellows: seniorfellows@
288 Old Highway 431
Owens Cross Roads, AL 35763